H. M. S. Surprise (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #3) (Paperback)
Other Books in Series
This is book number 3 in the Aubrey/Maturin Novels series.
- #1: Master and Commander (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #1) (Paperback): $15.95
- #2: Post Captain (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #2) (Paperback): $15.95
- #4: The Mauritius Command (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #4) (Paperback): $15.95
- #5: Desolation Island (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #5) (Paperback): $16.95
- #6: The Fortune of War (Aubrey-Maturin #6) (Hardcover): Email or call for price.
- #7: The Surgeon's Mate (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #7) (Paperback): $15.95
- #8: The Ionian Mission (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #8) (Paperback): $15.95
- #9: Treason's Harbour (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #9) (Paperback): $15.95
- #10: The Far Side of the World (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #10) (Paperback): $15.95
- #11: The Reverse of the Medal (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #11) (Hardcover): Email or call for price.
- #12: The Letter of Marque (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #12) (Paperback): $15.95
- #13: The Thirteen Gun Salute (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #13) (Paperback): $15.95
- #14: The Nutmeg of Consolation (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #14) (Paperback): $15.95
- #15: The Truelove (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #15) (Paperback): $15.95
- #16: The Wine-Dark Sea (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #16) (Paperback): $15.95
- #17: The Commodore (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #17) (Paperback): $15.95
- #18: The Yellow Admiral (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #18) (Paperback): $15.95
- #19: The Hundred Days (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #19) (Paperback): $15.95
- #20: Blue at the Mizzen (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #20) (Paperback): $15.95
- #21: 21: The Final Unfinished Voyage of Jack Aubrey (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #21) (Paperback): $18.95
"Few, very few books have made my heart thud with excitement. H.M.S. Surprise managed it." —Helen Lucy Burke, Irish Press
In H.M.S. Surprise, British naval officer Jack Aubrey and surgeon Stephen Maturin face near-death and tumultuous romance in the distant waters ploughed by the ships of the East India Company. Tasked with ferrying a British ambassador to the Sultan of Kampong, they find themselves on a prolonged voyage aboard a Royal Navy frigate en route to the Malay Peninsula. In this new sphere, Aubrey is on the defensive, pitting wits and seamanship against an enemy who enjoys overwhelming local superiority. But somewhere in the Indian Ocean lies the prize that could secure him a marriage to his beloved Sophie and make him rich beyond his wildest dreams: the ships sent by Napoleon to attack the China Fleet.
About the Author
One of our greatest contemporary novelists, Patrick O’Brian is the author of the twenty volumes of the best-selling Aubrey/Maturin series, as well as many other books, including Testimonies, The Golden Ocean, The Unknown Shore, and biographies of Joseph Banks and Picasso.
As sinewy and virile as its predecessors, this is a copper-bottomed investment for the numerous fans of Jack Aubrey.
— Sarah Lake - Daily Telegraph
It has been said that this series is some of the finest historical fiction of our time.… Aubrey and Maturin have been described as better than Holmes and Watson, the equal of Quixote and Panza.… All this is true. And the marvel is, it hardly says enough.
— John Balzar - Los Angeles Times